Monday 8 September 2014

The Story Model

The story model has far-reaching applications, not just in the education context but can be used to examine any social situation or institution. It is quite a dynamic model, featuring many facets from the individual to the global. Because it is so comprehensive in its scope, I would like to single out one aspect that is of particular interest to me, and explore it more deeply—namely, the cultural aspect.

I am extremely interested in culture and its power to influence people. As a future educator my goal is to facilitate learning. But, learning may not occur unless the culture, or sub-culture, within the classroom is one which values learning. Therefore, as a teacher, I must create a culture with my students that is conducive to learning. Can a teacher truly just create such a culture? If so, how is that possible considering the diversity of cultural baggage each student carries in with them? 

First, it requires cultural understanding. I'm reminded of the saying: "know your audience," which applies to performers and writers, but I think is applicable in the classroom as well. As a teacher I should have some understanding of the cultural backgrounds of my students as well as their families, and also the culture that exists within the neighbourhood and the school as a whole. I should learn whether the culture has always been this way, or if it has changed over time, and if so, how long have things been this way. 

For example, there may be a longstanding cultural norm which includes ritual hazing of new students. Although it is against formal school rules, it might accepted by the students as part of the experience of attending that school. If I was a new teacher at the school, I might wish to abolish this outright because it promotes bullying, etc. Rather than ban the practice, it might prove useful to channel the preexisting traditions to influence a more positive culture. Perhaps, the class could undergo an initiation ritual together, that is safe and non-exploitative. The act of the initiation solidifies the class as a group, promotes teamwork, and creates a sense of commonality. All of which serve to create a classroom culture that values learning.

In this one hypothetical example of how a learning culture can be created in the classroom, I have used the story model framework to assess the old story as well as the present story, and used that to develop a new story that closely lines up with the preferred story. I should emphasize that this is all very theoretical and has no basis in actual practice, however, it is an idea that I've been considering for some time, and wish to explore further.


1 comment:

  1. Your comments are insightful as you move into Chapter 2 and Knowing you student. You may not get a chance to make this hypothetical example a reality - but I am sure you will get opportunities to test your "theories" of creating a culture of learning in your classroom. This, of course, is the culture that AfL hopes to create. Students learn for the sake of learning and not for the sake of a grade. A hard sell in an age of accountability but one that is necessary I think if we really are going to really learn anything worth learning.

    ReplyDelete